This may come off as a fancy or luxurious possession, but getting yourself a quality and durable mattress protector can help to lengthen the lifespan of your mattress, aid in enhancing your sleep, and at the same time protect your health.
Among the various benefits of acquiring a mattress protector is its capability to prevent your well-earned mattress from obtaining stains that can damage its quality. Moreover, it can defend you from unseen enemies (e.g. bacteria, moulds, and dust).
However, choosing the best mattress protector can be quite challenging as you have to ensure that you’re investing your hard-earned money on a mattress protector that delivers its claims and promises.
To guide you in this journey of choosing the most suitable mattress protector for you and your family, we’ve laid down some of the factors to consider before checking out that mattress protector you found online.
Here are the curated best mattress protectors in Australia that received good reviews for its quality and comfort:
- Best bamboo: Meritlife Premium Cooling Bamboo Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Best budget: Luxor Linen Australian Made Cotton Quilted Mattress Protector
- Best quilted: Clear Sleep Quilted Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Best for kids: Pikapu
- Best hypoallergenic: Hospitology Products Sleep Defense System – Premium Zippered Mattress Encasement and Hypoallergenic Protector
- Best plush: Plush Deluxe Premium Zippered Mattress Encasement Six (6) sided Mattress Protector
Best Bamboo: Meritlife
Meritlife itself is known to produce clean and safe mattress protectors. With their cooling bamboo waterproof version, it’s ultra soft and breathable material is also considered to be eco-friendly because it’s made from bamboo. Perfect for newborns and toddlers as well, this mattress protector is also made of high-quality pad material.
Together with polyester, it creates a soft fabric with 3D air cooling effect that helps in regulating your body temperature (i.e. it keeps you fresh during the summer and warm during the rainy season). Aside from being waterproof and noiseless, this protector also prevents your mattress from acquiring mites, fleas and unwanted visitors. It can even block all forms of liquids – from stains to sweat and urine.
For its care, this Meritlife mattress protector can be washed using a washing machine. This should not be bleached nor dry cleaned as it destroys the purpose of the mattress protector.
Best Budget: Luxor Linen
This mattress protector prides itself with comfort and style as it can keep your mattress good as new and can easily fit in with any types of mattress. It’s also ideal for individuals with sensitive skin or those suffering from skin and respiratory illness as it is breathable, non-allergenic, and odourless.
Moreover, this mattress protector is made from pure cotton with a delicate polyester filling that can add up to the life of your mattress at cost-effective pricing. Most importantly, it does not have a rubber back which sometimes causes you to feel hot and sweaty in the middle of the night.
Best Quilted: Clear Sleep
This mattress protector has a breathable waterproof backing and filling made of fibre that adds more comfort to your sleep. Aside from convenience, it also protects your health through its antimicrobial component and stain protection component.
The Clear Sleep Quilted Waterproof Mattress Protect can be utilised for at least five (5) years. This is also suitable for anyone who has respiratory problems. In handling this mattress protector, you may hand wash it or make use of the washing machine.
Best for Kids: Pikapu Mattress Protector
The Pikapu mattress protector is absorbent and has a breathable cotton ideal for newborns and toddlers that have sensitive skin and prone to acquire skin diseases. Moreover, it keeps the mattress dry and comfortable primarily if it will be used for kids who are still bedwetting. Thus, parents won’t have to worry about keeping a clean and odourless bed as this type of protector helps to resolve that dilemma.
This protector also has a strap that can entirely place the material in places. For its care, the Pikapu mattress protector may be cleaned through the use of a washing machine.
Best Hypoallergenic: Hospitology Protector
This Hospitology mattress protector is 100% waterproof and made from 1 ML thick polyurethane and bed bug proof. Created from polyester knit fabric as well, this provides a breathable and hotel and healthcare-like bedding protection.
This should be ideal for individuals with respiratory conditions as it helps to block allergens. What’s more rewarding is that you can utilize this protector for at least five (5) years.
For its care, this mattress protector can be spot cleaned and cleansed using the washing machine.
Best Plush: Plush Deluxe Premium
Last but not least, this Plush Deluxe mattress protector can repel all kinds of liquids – from accidental stains to bodily fluids or bedwetting. It also blocks bacterial mildew and moulds, a perfect protector for those who have skin conditions. Moreover, it has breathable material and is free from any harmful components such as phthalate that may harm your liver, kidneys, lungs, and even reproductive system.
It has a zipper with a Velcro flap to ensure that it covers all sides of the mattress. For its care, the Plush Deluxe mattress protector can be cleaned using a washing machine.
What to consider when choosing a mattress protector?
If you’re not yet familiar with the in’s and out’s of choosing a good mattress protector, here are some factors that you should look for when selecting one:
You would want your mattress protector to provide the following benefits:
- Prevent liquid stains and damage. A quality mattress protector should be able to block fluids that can be a leading cause of mould and mildew in your mattress.
- Block the built-up of dust mites, bed bugs, bacterial, and allergens. Through a protector, dust mites, bed bugs and other allergens can be prevented from infesting your home. Did you know that our mattresses serve as their breeding ground? But through the box spring cover of protectors, it stops the infiltration of these microscopic enemies.
- A mattress protector should also require little cleaning and maintenance. Usually, it can just be cleaned through hand washing, making use of a washing machine, or low heat dry cleaning.
- Aide in balancing body temperature. A mattress protector should be able to serve its purpose of providing you comfort through regulation of heat during the varying seasons.
- Warranty – An ideal warranty should be at least five (5) to 10 years. Thus, you have to check with the manufacturer the warranty they provide with their mattress protectors
Types of Mattress Protector
There are three (3) popular types of mattress protector:
- Encasement – Also known as ‘zippered’, this type of mattress protector can cover your mattress fully.
- Fitted – A well-purchased mattress protector, it can fit in your bed by just tucking it in under your bed.
- Elastic Strap – You can lay this type of mattress protector on top of your mattress and wrap the straps on its four (4) corners.
Materials of the Mattress Protector
Usually, a good mattress protector may be made from the following materials:
- Cotton – This material is naturally hypoallergenic because of its organic composition, thus the perfect type of material for sensitive skins.
- Polyester – This material has durable fabric that comes in various styles and textures. It is easy to wash and at the same time, considerably low-cost compared to other materials.
- Vinyl – It is practical to fight against bed bugs and dust mites. It’s also suitable for the cold season as it can make the bed at night cool and breezy. Moreover, compared to other materials, it is relatively easy to clean and maintain.
- Polyurethane – A super thin and flexible material that’s a functional component to waterproof a mattress protector. It has microscopic pores that allow air to pass through without trapping in moist, liquid, or dust.
- Bamboo – Bamboo-made mattress protector can protect your mattress from odour and also hypoallergenic. It has a comforting fabric, making you feel at ease, cosy and relaxed in your sleep.
- Plush Velour – This material is made of knitted fabric that is somehow similar to velvet. Usually made from cotton or synthetic material, plush velour is stretchable and gives a velvet, sensual, soft feeling.
- Cooling Covers – This material has a cooling temperature advantage. Compared to other materials, it can easily make bed cool all night, and this should be ideal during the summer season.
Care for Mattress Protector
Aside from considering the quality of a protector, you should also find the size you’ll be getting and the care it needs. Most often, we keep buying the wrong size of a protector (and even bed sheet more than we admit it), thus before purchasing one, always measure the dimension of your mattress.
Also, it’s best to choose a mattress protector that can be cleaned through hand washing, washing machine, or dry cleaning. However, thoroughly follow the instructions, or it can damage the functionality of the mattress protector.
Is mattress protection worth your Money?
You might say to yourself, “What’s the use of mattress protection if I can just have my mattress deep cleaned?” It may seem like something you’ll consider as a want, but having mattress protection can provide you with several advantages.
Ideal for people with sensitive skin and respiratory conditions
You may not know it, but our mattress plays a huge factor in our health, especially for those that have skin and respiratory illness. With the use of a mattress protector, it provides you and your loved ones an added protection that can trigger irritations and worsen of an existing disease. Maybe all this time, you’ve been pinpointing other things that might have caused your skin asthma, but it was all just because of an unprotected mattress.
Protects the environment
Some mattresses cannot be recycled and may take at least 500 years to be broken down. And by breaking it down, it means burning it which adds to the tremendous amount of air pollution the world is currently facing. Thus, unprotected mattresses are prone to be disposed of earlier than expected compared to those that have mattress protectors.
Protects the mattress
Aside from the common dilemma of eliminating foul odours or preventing the growth of stains, mattress protectors can also help in preventing the following from harming our family:
- Bacteria such as e.coli
- Dead skin cells
- Airborne pollutants
- Pet hair and faecal matter
- Food crumbs
Helps to have Quality Sleep
It isn’t just about getting a goodnight sleep – it’s about getting a sufficient amount of sleep. Because sleeping has several benefits, one being the healing and repairing your heart and blood vessels and at the same time prevent the risk of having heart and kidney disease, blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke. Also, having an adequate sleep improves your mood and can help you in performing better at your daily tasks.
Choosing the best mattress protector all boils down to thorough decision making as this is where the comfort and safety of your sleep heavily rely on.